Silk Labs to Discontinue Sense
You will never sense the Sense
About Silk Labs
Earlier this year, founder of Silk Labs, former Mozilla CTO Andreas Gal unveiled his plan to introduce a smart home device called ‘Sense’. It is a smart home hub with following functionality –
– It inter-operates with the home’s connected devices
– It learns owner’s behavior and routine patterns
– It can adapt itself according to the user
Sense is a US-based startup that is funded by Kickstarter Campaign.
The sad story
Unfortunately, Silk Labs decided to abandon its project and bring an end to its hardware development part. Now, the startup’s interest remains only on building the software part.
The Reason for Discontinuation
One would easily assume that the sale was not good enough to make enough profit out of it. But, the story here is entirely different. Sense stats on company’s Kickstarter page reads, product sale was good enough to make a decent out of it.
With Google introducing its new smart home device and Amazon coming with their whole new line of smart home devices, it is difficult for Silk Labs to survive amongst these big names.
What makes Sense different from other Smart Home devices?
While other devices just monitor and interact with the user, Sense could recognize user’s face and his daily action like – what actions are performed by the user when he/she enters the home. It could recognize strange (unknown face) when encountered. Sense keeps its eye on each and every activity, and could tell you if you are leaving in a safe environment or not. Other functionalities include – data security, security cameras, and data encryption.
To know more about sense, click here .
– Sense is a smart home hub to take control over your home.
– Silk Labs team is discontinuing Sense since it is difficult to survive in the high-end smart devices market developed by Google and Amazon.
– Sense will now focus only on the software development part.
If you like this article, please share with your friends and comment below.